TEN YEARS AGO - 2004
Marine Pvt. Joshua H. Hardy has successfully completed basic training at Paris Island, S.C.
Newcomerstown High School's "Elks' Student of the Month" for January is Lydia Quillen, 18, daughter of Jill Quillen and Ron Quillen, Newcomerstown.
Deaths: Ralph A. Bash, 92, Roseville; Bryan S. Cseel, 56, Newcomerstown; Mabel F. Loudenslager, 88, Uhrichsville; Anna Milhoan, 71, Spencer, W.Va.; Doris Mae Beall Moore, 71, Westerville; Ricky Lee Nicely, 36, Dennison; and Robert L. Shaw, 61, Reynoldsburg.
Newcomerstown Middle School Science Fair "Best of Show" winners: Sixth grade, Jansen Lenzo; seventh grade, Stacie Simmons; and eighth grade, Ashley Pugh.
IVC foe Malvern defeated Newcomerstown in high school wrestling by a 48-28 count.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1994
Schools closed for four days due to eight-inch snowfall covering the area.
Newcomerstown 100 Club's 11th Sweet Hearts Follies set for Feb. 17-20.
Kevin Keeton and James Keffer sworn-in as new members of the Port Washington Village Council.
Local area basketball: Trojans lost to Malvern, 72-57; Ridgewood Generals defeated Lakeland 87-72 and lost to Strasburg 62-55; Indian Valley Braves won over Tuslaw, 80-50.
Deaths: Kenneth E. Little, 42; Charles Isler, 85; Mary Agnes Hartline, 81; Mildred H. Renner, 79; Ruby I. Robinson, 85; Leona E. Stevens, 41; George A. Umstott, 88; William R. Ford; Thelma Ford; Sherwood S. Urfer, 77; Andrew M. Paton, 79.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1984
Eighty employees of General Tire & Rubber Company Chemical Plastics Division plant in Newcomerstown affected by discontinued production of extruded plastic sheeting.
Virgil Ervin named president of Newcomerstown Rotary Club.
Carl Lenzo, Newcomersown, re-elected to fourth consecutive four-year term on Tuscarawas County Board of Elections.
James Welch installed as worshipful master of Port Washington Masonic Lodge 202 at Gnadenhutten.
Ridgewood won the Orange and Black trophy after defeating the Trojans 55-40 in game that was close until final two minutes. Trojans' Jerry Triplett earned most valuable player honors and led all scorers with 19 points. In other contests, the Trojans were defeated by Malvern 55-54; Ridgewood lost to Indian Valley North Big Blue 49-45; Indian Valley South Rebels lost to Garaway 46-37.
Deaths: Lorin C. Johns, 55, Newcomerstown; Velma G. Mason, 85, Port Washington; Charles L. Ashcraft, 64, West Lafayette.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1974
Coach Dave Highes and his Trojans up their record to 8-1 with 69-43 win over Tusky Valley and 62-59 victory over Malvern. Terry McCrone, Gary Hawk and Rick Seibert stand-out performers in the contests.
Eugene Hosfelt named manager of Newcomerstown office of H&R Block tax service.
Indian Valley South beaten 58-54 by powerful Strasburg.
Alsco Anaconda announces $10.5 million expansion at Gnadenhutten plant.
Deaths: Forrest G. Edwards, 68; Daniel W. Bates, 91; James S. Hoobler, 71.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1964
Trojans beat Malvern Hornets 75-57, after scoring 45 points in 16 minutes.
Eleven-inch snow with high winds of blizzard proportion and drifts as deep as 10 feet strikes Newcomerstown area.
Annual World Day of Prayer held at Trinity Baptist Church on Clow Avenue.
Home Building and Loan holds 66th annual stockholders/directors meeting.
Deaths: Mrs. Philessa Murphy, 83; Mrs. Earl Emler, 40; Ira Grimm, 86; Dr. Walter Barcroft, 67; N.J. Peterson; Mrs. F.L. Clark, 28.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1954
Council approves plans for new sewage plant.
Baker Bros. of West Lafayette buy Unger Lumber Co., Beaver Street.
Mrs. Viola Johns Keffer buys rest home on N. College Street.
Death: Mrs. Ulin Aronhalt, 49.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1944
Mrs. C.E. Ashelman, local chairman of the Red Cross, announces surgical dressing project will be resumed.
Fourth War Bond Drive starts Jan. 18.
Tuscarawas County Tuberculosis and Health Association plans chest X-rays of all employees of county industrial plants.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1934
R.L. Shoemaker appointed chauffeur examiner.
Theodore Crater, veteran cashier of Oxford Bank, celebrates 88th birthday.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1924
Special election held in question of issuing $100,000 on bonds to purchase water works results in 462 votes, 28 against.
R. Andrews, Cambridge, opens Candyland in Emerson building.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1914
Mayor Thomas Brown appoints Joseph Haver street commissioner; T.R. Taylor, night officers, and Atty. Samuel Robinson, solicitor.
Charles Aland resigns as superintendent of James B. Clow plant.
Dr. George B. Kistler elected president of board of education.